Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mummy Survival



Being parents is a really tough job!!! I literally spend every minute of my awaking time being with my kids and being the 'Mummy'. The kids usually wake up at about 7am each morning and I tell you I would sleep for another minute if they let me. This marks the beginning of my day with the kids. Believe me, it's a really long day especially Jono now has dropped his afternoon nap and Esther only has 2 naps. ME, I have no nap....

I try to take the kids out every morning except Monday (which is our rest day) according to my weekly plan I devised a while ago. It really helps me to relax and make the time more manageable. However, we still have lots of time left in the day before they go to sleep for good at 7pm each night. I was thinking today that working is actually so much easier compare to what I do at home - a full-on 12 hour shift. I at least get morning tea, lunch, and non-contact time at work. At home, I get 'mummy, play with me'!, 'changing dirty nappy', 'mummy, I want this/that' time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being a mummy but just like everyone else, I do feel physically exhausted and emotionally drained at the end of the day. Honestly speaking I can't wait for 7pm when the kids go to bed then I can have my much needed rest time. After careful consideration, we decided to up Jono's childcare day from 1 day to 2 days a week. He used to go 2 days a week when I was working but we dropped it to 1 day as I wanted to spend more time with him while I'm staying at home full-time. Now, I really needed the extra day a week to recuperate and get some needed peace and quiet. Having 2 'Jono free days' allow me to have 1 day rest, and 1 day to catch up with housework and run errands. I tried not to feel guilty for needing that extra day because I'm convinced that my kids/hubby deserve a happier mum/wife.

Lord, please help me to be patience and give me strength each day to fulfill the many roles that I play. Philippians 4:13 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.'

2 comments:

Ee Laine said...

Hey, you stole my blog entry didn't you?? I feel exactly like that, every word except for the going out part. Just can't seem to get organised. And I'm going to increase Kai's childcare days as well, may cost more but worth while being able to have some rest and keep the house intact.
With Kai dropping his nap, I switch on the Wiggles, put food and drinks around him and I get about 45 mins nap.

Mum with Hope said...

Great mums think alike! LOL.